Author Topic: Do fire suits time out like belts and helmets ?  (Read 168 times)

Offline Masher Manufacturing

• Modified
Do fire suits time out like belts and helmets ?
« on: June 17, 2017, 06:18:06 PM »
I'm looking for SCCA / NASA / other road race type rules.  This could be full race , hill climb or track days.

Do fire suits time out like belts and helmets ? 

What type of cert patch / tag is required?

I've been away from road racing long enough that the rules have likely changed by now.

Thanks

Offline ninetyfourintegra

• Modified
  • Ron Dodson 272 PTD
Re: Do fire suits time out like belts and helmets ?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 02:54:22 PM »
I do not believe suits time, as long as they are not worn out:
From NASA CCR:
15.17 Driverís Attire
The following safety items should be worn by the driver to participate in any competitive session. All equipment
shall be in a state of good condition. All defects, holes, tears, cracks, and other damage shall be repaired.
Driversí racing attire and belts will be subject to random safety inspections at any time while at the race facility.
If, at any time, illegal, non-conforming, missing, or outdated safety equipment is found, the equipment (in its
entirety) will become the property of NASA. Additionally, the driver may be fined $50 for each separate offense.
Subsequent offenses during the same season will double the penalty each time. NASA reserves the right to
make the penalties more severe should the situation warrant.
15.17.1 Driving Suits
A driver is required to wear a suit that covers his or her entire body except for hands, feet, and head. Driving
suits shall be one piece carrying an SFI 3.2A/1 rating or higher (3.2A/5, 3.2A/10, 3.2A/15, or 3.2A/20) or FIA
8856-2000, FIA NORME 1986/1986. The minimum driving suit requirement for vehicles using any type of
diesel or diesel mixture is 3.2A/5, or higher. Note- other types of fuel may require higher ratings.
15.17.2 Underwear
Approved long underwear made of fire resistant material must be worn with all suits except those carrying a
rating of SFI 3.2A/5, 3.2A/10, 3.2A/15, 3.2A/20 or FIA 8856-2000. Underwear certified to SFI 3.3 or FIA 8856-
2000 is strongly recommended in all cases. All drivers using any type of diesel or diesel mixture must wear
approved long underwear made of fire resistant material, if the suit rating is less than 3.2A/10. Note- other
types of fuel may require higher ratings.
Proud sponsor of the Allegheny Karting Series Yamaha Rookie Class. http://summertimeracing.com

"I went out first with Ron, and in all honesty I thought I was going to die... Thanks for the ride because thats what I needed was to get back in a car" -Habib88