Author Topic: Nationals  (Read 2607 times)

Offline FigglyWiggly

• Owner/Admin
  • Street Prepared
Re: Nationals
« Reply #80 on: September 08, 2017, 08:42:02 AM »
Alex the west course is fast but BUSY as hell.  Your arms will hate you
--
Mitch Figs
Hamfist Extraordinaire
2012 Corvette GrandSport (SS and Spin Cycle Master)
2007 VW GTI (STX and Cone Eater)

Offline scca-racerx

• Modified
« Reply #81 on: September 08, 2017, 11:07:37 AM »
Our boys in DS did well.  Matt Luckow finished in 9th in his mini.  Alex Artayet managed to hang on to a trophy spot in 16th.  Chris Kavka finished 18th.  I know for Alex and Chris, this was their first nationals.

Matt should get extra credit because Seth Grogan's FRS roasted a clutch and Matt let him co-drive the mini.

Mark scroggs roasted the field by almost 1.5 seconds in a car that doesn't belong in DS (my opinion).  Mr. Scroggs would have won FS and placed second in BS with his overall time.  OUCH.  Can you say overdog.

Good job boys!
Joe Montuoro
2016 Subaru WRX

"IT COULD BE WORSE, IT COULD BE RAINING."
Young Frankenstien

Offline lprmesia

• Prepared
« Reply #82 on: September 08, 2017, 11:58:54 AM »
I had the pace on day 1 to battle for top 5, but a poor line choice on Run 3 cost me almost a second.

The front shocks decided they finally had enough on Day 2 (they've been blown and leaking fluid since we got the car). I drove better lines, but couldn't keep the car's rebound under control on a lot of the sweepers. Felt like I was driving a bucket of water.

Looking forward to next year.
2014 Subaru WRX - 27 STX
2016 Ford Fiesta ST - 5 HS

Previous
2014 Subaru WRX - 27 STU
1994 "Ford" Probe GT - 27 STS

Offline Open Loop

• Stock
« Reply #83 on: September 08, 2017, 03:10:49 PM »
It looks like a hell of a lot of fun. 
Peter S.
Scion FR-S (32 DS)

Offline GTI_Speed

• Modified
« Reply #84 on: September 10, 2017, 11:08:25 AM »
Thanks for the kind words Joe! Chris and I felt pretty decent after day 1 and weren't too far off the pace excluding the Scroggs Camaro (More on that below). But the day two course we just never figured out. It was very hard to piece the whole thing together and then we didn't have enough fuel in the damn car... again... haha which killed my third run. Data between us showed we had 62.0 out there which would have moved us way up in the trophies. Both courses were absolutely amazing though and it was easily the most fun I've had autocrossing. Definitely had to adjust and get in that super competitive mindset again and having to chase down tenths to move up a spot or two was such a rush! We also had both the mens and womens pro solo champions in our class, how cool is that!?

THE SCROGGS CAMARO
Scroggs would have trophied in the following faster street classes AS, BS, CS
He would have been just outside the trophies in STX and STU
He would have won FS and CAMC

The only things done to the car are an alignment, wheels, and RE71R's + some amazeballs driver mod. On day one he stuck within a tenth of his fastest time and his decently fast co-driver was with the rest of us pedestrian drivers haha. Day 2 was pretty much the same thing.

I'll also say that while Scroggs' car had no prep, our car doesn't really have that much done to it either. We could put pimpier shocks on it, we could get a shop manual and see if anything can be done to get more camber. Also the 2018 WRX is coming and is definitely going to be faster than ours.

With that said, this car needs a home, it is just too awesome. He paid $20,000 for it new. It weighed in at 3180lbs on the scales at nationals, has 275hp and 295ftlbs of torque and has a limited slip differential. It has a 50/50 weight balance due to the engine being located so far back in that giant engine bay designed for a V8. It can get -2deg of camber and easily fit 275's on the 19x8.5 wheels.

So while I could see the car potentially in BS or CS, I think it's pretty cool having a $20000 car that's more fun than an FRS or BRZ be the car to have in DS. Especially since the twins are getting a spec class next year.
Alex A.

Steel Cities Region AutoX Chair
Current: 2016 Subaru WRX STI - 77 BS
History: 2008 VW GTI - 1 SMFT, 2003 BMW M3 - 77 STU

STCsolo.com    stcscca.com     NHSCC.com    GolfMKV.com     m3forum.net     iracing.com

Offline Jakebonz

• Modified
« Reply #85 on: September 10, 2017, 09:16:30 PM »
Word of advice: Don't do course walks while loopy on allergy meds

I also ran a camera on the right side of my car to check to see how close I was getting to cones.  The added benefit of it is that I was able to have some fun using RaceRender
"He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling."
- Jezza 19:3

2014 Ford Mustang GT #10 FS
1999 Mazda Miata #10 ES
Event Photos

Offline GTI_Speed

• Modified
« Reply #86 on: September 11, 2017, 12:05:26 AM »
That's pretty cool!
Alex A.

Steel Cities Region AutoX Chair
Current: 2016 Subaru WRX STI - 77 BS
History: 2008 VW GTI - 1 SMFT, 2003 BMW M3 - 77 STU

STCsolo.com    stcscca.com     NHSCC.com    GolfMKV.com     m3forum.net     iracing.com

Offline MrDirt

• Street Touring
« Reply #87 on: September 11, 2017, 12:39:50 AM »
East Course best runs:
Alex -
! No longer available

Chris-
! No longer available

I actually didnít get either of our best runs on video from the West course. Best coned runs:
Alex-
! No longer available

Chris-
! No longer available
Chris K
427DS - '16 WRX

Offline gmaloy

• Prepared
« Reply #88 on: September 11, 2017, 01:22:45 PM »

With that said, this car needs a home, it is just too awesome. He paid $20,000 for it new. It weighed in at 3180lbs on the scales at nationals, has 275hp and 295ftlbs of torque and has a limited slip differential. It has a 50/50 weight balance due to the engine being located so far back in that giant engine bay designed for a V8. It can get -2deg of camber and easily fit 275's on the 19x8.5 wheels.

So while I could see the car potentially in BS or CS, I think it's pretty cool having a $20000 car that's more fun than an FRS or BRZ be the car to have in DS. Especially since the twins are getting a spec class next year.

The Camaro gets a bunch of aluminum parts cascaded down from the V Cadillac's....subframe, suspension etc.  Sort of ironic how anti-aluminum GM appears in those truck commercials.  I tested the old 1LE quite a bit and it's a great handling car for how heavy it is.  LOT of tire under that pig.  Not too shocked that the 4 banger is just as fast in an autox situation being so much lighter.
Greg Maloy
'91 CRX SiR STL
'96 Chevy K1500 "Big Blue" - Tow Vehicle
'07 Civic Si - Commuting at the speed of VTEC YO!!