Author Topic: New SCCA Class - Solo Spec Coupe  (Read 480 times)

Offline rob

• Prepared
New SCCA Class - Solo Spec Coupe
« on: September 04, 2017, 06:58:13 PM »
Spec BRZ/FRS class...

New Solo Spec Coupe Class Unveiled for SCCA Autocross Competition

TOPEKA, Kan. (Sept. 4, 2017) -- The Sports Car Club of AmericaŽ officially announced today the creation of a new Solo Spec Coupe (SSC) class for autocross competition. The new supplemental class for 2018 national and regional events was developed to be unique in that it primarily focuses on a competitor's driving skill by having racers participate in nearly identical cars.

Mike Cobb, SCCA President & CEO, said SSC leverages the knowledge and market strength of longtime Club partners Tire Rack, Koni, Eibach and SPC Performance to produce a turnkey competition platform that is both cost efficient and fun.

"When you take an exciting car model and add great partner support, a dedicated Solo Spec Coupe class in which to play, and terrific drivers, you get an outstanding SCCA member experience we're sure many people will enjoy," Cobb said.

The base platform selected by the Solo Events Board will be the 2013 to 2016 Subaru BRZ or Scion FRZ. Howard Duncan, SCCA Rally/Solo Senior Director, said the BRZ and FRZ were selected because the cars are modestly priced, rear-wheel drive, late model enthusiast vehicles useful as both a "daily driver" and for autocross competition.

"These cars offer aftermarket modifications embraced by enthusiasts who enjoy the driving experience," Duncan said. "The vehicles are readily available and modifications fairly simple. The cars have shown reliability, which should help with cost containment. And a street ride can be maintained for daily use while also allowing for fun autocross performance. It's a very positive package all around."

Vehicles will be able to compete with original equipment. But the Solo Spec Coupe will also have a two-stage upgrade option. Tire Rack is SCCA's Stage 1 Performance Package coordinating partner. The components will be offered to SCCAŽ members at a discounted price, and an opportunity for non-members to join the Club before purchase. Drivers interested in the package can learn more at Tire Rack's SSC webpage, but the basic elements include:
- Koni Sport Shocks, factory sealed (front left strut, right front strut and rear)
- Eibach Pro-Plus Kit (F/R springs and F/R adjustable anti-roll bars)
- SPC Front Alignment Kit (camber bolts, adjustable lower control arms and toe arms)

Tire Rack is also the preferred supplier of the Stage 2 Performance Package that includes 17"x 8" wheels, running a minimum of 17 pounds with minimum offset of 40 millimeters. There will also be a 225/45R17 spec tire used in SSC with a minimum 200 treadwear. The specific spec tire brand will be named later this year.

A Stage 3 Performance Package, consisting of a PCM/ECU retuning module, is currently being researched and considered for future use.

For components not specifically listed in the Stage 1 or Stage 2 Packages, the Solo Street Category allowances will apply. Vehicles will be allowed to compete "under prepared" without all permitted modifications being installed. Where applicable, Solo Spec Coupe cars can also compete in the STX class.

For more information, please visit the SCCA Solo Spec Coupe webpage.

The Sports Car Club of AmericaŽ, Inc., founded in 1944, is a 67,500-member motorsports organization that incorporates all facets of autocross, rally and road racing at both club and professional levels. With headquarters in Topeka, Kansas, the SCCA annually sanctions over 2,000 events through its 116 Regions and subsidiary divisions. Much of the SCCA's activities are made possible with support from the following Official Partners: Chevrolet, the Official Truck of the SCCA; Hawk Performance, the Official Brake Products of SCCA; Mobil 1, the Official Oil of SCCA; Sunoco, the Official Fuel of SCCA; and Tire Rack, the Official Tire Retailer of SCCA. To learn more, please visit www.scca.com.

'15 Subaru BRZ 16 DS
'08 Honda Fit Sport   16 STF
'73 VW Westfalia
Birel/PRD TaG Kart - For Sale

Offline Mark Aubele

• Modified
Re: New SCCA Class - Solo Spec Coupe
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 07:18:44 PM »
Just what autocross needs, another class!   ;D
'64 Ford F100
'97 M3
'12 135i

Offline marka

• Modified
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 10:36:53 PM »
Howdy,

We're strongly considering this class for next year.  I think its a SUPER fit for us.

Mark

Offline mikef

• Street Prepared
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 11:09:10 PM »
Holy crap.
Mike Ferchak - 2013 Scion FR-S - #11 CS

Offline lorenzoscribe

• Street Prepared
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 09:09:38 AM »
What we really need is a new class for three door cars, with five cylinder engines, plastic wheels and red lug nuts.  Yea right.  Another class?  Just for one car with a split personality?  I think not.

Most of the Street classes already have one or two very dominant cars, so they are in effect spec classes.  To me this looks like the FRS and BRZ boys don't want to stand up to the competition in C or D Street so they want to go off by themselves.  And its not like they are swarming the autocross courses with sheer numbers.  All politics with no actual need.

Larry Steckel
2001 VW  GTI 1.8T

Offline GTI_Speed

• Modified
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 09:21:45 AM »
I like it, seems like an easy fun button to push. Hopefully it brings some $$$ contingency too!
Alex A.

Steel Cities Region AutoX Chair
Current: 2016 Subaru WRX STI - 77 BS
History: 2008 VW GTI - 1 SMFT, 2003 BMW M3 - 77 STU

STCsolo.com    stcscca.com     NHSCC.com    GolfMKV.com     m3forum.net     iracing.com

Offline Open Loop

• Stock
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 09:57:58 AM »
I had read a rumor that such a class was being considered.  I wonder if it will attract additional FR-S/BRZ owners to the sport, because as Larry mentions, its not like we are currently drowning in these cars at our events.  In any event, I will probably make the move to this class.   
Peter S.
Scion FR-S (32 DS)

Offline scca-racerx

• Modified
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 09:47:29 PM »
Resisting the urge to ask for a co-drive ..... aahhh screw it -
Hey Pete, if you need/want a co-driver, let me know.
Joe Montuoro
2016 Subaru WRX

"IT COULD BE WORSE, IT COULD BE RAINING."
Young Frankenstien

Offline rob

• Prepared
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 10:25:04 PM »
So I'm hearing that I'll need to sell the Koni's off of my car, to buy the same Koni's to put back on to be legal... :o
That can't be real, right?
'15 Subaru BRZ 16 DS
'73 VW Westfalia

Offline marka

• Modified
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 07:59:22 AM »
Howdy,

So I'm hearing that I'll need to sell the Koni's off of my car, to buy the same Koni's to put back on to be legal... :o
That can't be real, right?

The stuff I heard when this was being talked about was that you could send your koni sports to koni and have them dyno'd / sealed / whatever for a nominal charge.

No clue if that's actually the case or what the nominal charge is, but if I were in your position I'd get in touch with Lee at Koni and find out.

edit:  See response below.

Mark
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 10:35:39 AM by marka »

Offline Open Loop

• Stock
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2017, 08:36:48 AM »

Do you mean for this year or next?  I asked Ferchak to co-drive our last two events for this year. 

I hope the idea of sending in the Konis for dyno-ing/sealing is permitted. 
Peter S.
Scion FR-S (32 DS)

Offline marka

• Modified
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2017, 10:35:47 AM »
Howdy,

Had some questions so I talked with Lee and Chris Harvey.  Here's the scoop I've got.  This is my understanding and a summary (particularly as regards the struts), so don't take it as the word of God.

The stage one package is from Tirerack and its the only way to get the special SCC Koni struts. It doesn't include wheels or tires. Total cost is expected to be under $1900 and you have to be an SCCA member to order it (verified by SCCA Member #). Should be on the website in a few days. The parts will also be available individually from TR at the discounted individual prices, so if you already have the toe links or whatever, you won't have to buy them again.

Per the above, for the struts you have to buy SCC Konis from Tirerack.  They start out life as Koni Sports, but go through a multi step process in house at Koni NA to be turned into sealed SCC struts.  That process sounds like its QA/Sealing, vs. opening up and revalving the damper, but that's just my guess.  Some new dampers fail this process btw, since the tolerance for SCC struts is very tight, beyond that of regular Sports.  Because of all this, there's currently no mechanism for you to take your existing Koni Sports and have them turned into SCC struts.  Part of that is procedural, part of it is concern that with wear & the fact that some new sports don't meet the tighter tolerances they might not work as SCC struts particularly with wear/tear from usage.  SCC struts also will be considered racing parts and will not have a lifetime warranty.  There is a 30 day satisfaction warranty so that if the thing is busted right outta the box or immediately leaks or whatever, Tirerack will replace it.

For wheels, anything that meets the specs is fine.  Some of the budget options right now are:

TRM FF10, 17.1 lbs, $169/ea
TRM C4, 19.1 lbs, $119/ea

There isn't currently any special deal on wheels for package people.

Hope that helps some folks.

Mark
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 10:57:32 AM by marka »

Offline marka

• Modified
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2017, 10:37:49 AM »
Howdy,

I would strongly encourage local regions to allow OE Koni sports in SCC btw.  Either officially or unofficially via the entrants.  I can for sure tell you that I wouldn't care at all.

Mark

Offline scca-racerx

• Modified
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2017, 11:37:33 AM »

Do you mean for this year or next?  I asked Ferchak to co-drive our last two events for this year. 

I hope the idea of sending in the Konis for dyno-ing/sealing is permitted.

I don't know what next year will bring, but yes, it would be for next year if you wanted to go this SSC special class route.  However, making somebody buy certified struts is expensive and I would not expect anyone to invest 2k on a car equiped with koni's already.  If you make the jump, let me know.  I should be able to throw some cash your way to help differ costs.

Looks like you buy the certified package or screw you.  Not sure you are going to have people jumping on that when they have already bought pimpy shocks.  Sounds fun though.  We will see.
Joe Montuoro
2016 Subaru WRX

"IT COULD BE WORSE, IT COULD BE RAINING."
Young Frankenstien

Offline rob

• Prepared
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2017, 12:25:03 PM »
Thanks for the info Mark.
'15 Subaru BRZ 16 DS
'73 VW Westfalia

Offline JDR17

• Street Prepared
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2017, 02:06:08 AM »
FYI - lots of hype about this at nats - if turnout is really good, it could be a national class as early as mid summer - they had an example car on site and to my eye it did not look very low, certainly nowhere near full-on stx and probably not even as low as trd

Offline Open Loop

• Stock
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2017, 06:04:23 PM »
Does anyone know or have a guess: (1) how the SCCA will develop a 2018 PAX figure for SSC, and (2) whether one will be announced when they announce all the other PAX figures for 2018? 
Peter S.
Scion FR-S (32 DS)

Offline GTI_Speed

• Modified
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2017, 08:21:35 PM »
If I had to guess I'd say somewhere between AS and BS.
Alex A.

Steel Cities Region AutoX Chair
Current: 2016 Subaru WRX STI - 77 BS
History: 2008 VW GTI - 1 SMFT, 2003 BMW M3 - 77 STU

STCsolo.com    stcscca.com     NHSCC.com    GolfMKV.com     m3forum.net     iracing.com

Offline marka

• Modified
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2017, 11:23:17 PM »
Howdy,

Does anyone know or have a guess: (1) how the SCCA will develop a 2018 PAX figure for SSC, and (2) whether one will be announced when they announce all the other PAX figures for 2018? 

SCCA doesn't develop PAX, a guy named Rick Ruth does.  I would expect that he will announce a PAX guess when he updates the rest of his (much more educated) guesses for 2018.

PAX has a role in autox.  But I would _strongly_ encourage you to not let it drive your decisions / happiness in autocross.

Mark

Offline lprmesia

• Prepared
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2017, 11:11:10 AM »
PAX has a role in autox.  But I would _strongly_ encourage you to not let it drive your decisions / happiness in autocross.

I'm bracing for that already with STH next year. I'm guessing it's going to land somewhere between STX and STU because on "paper" it should be faster taking STX cars and giving them a slight increase in power (or in my case, almost none but on a GTi almost all of it). But the real story is that none of the cars being bumped into STH were top dogs in STX. I think me and Chris Thorpe were the only 2 guys this year that ran STX going into STH that came anywhere close to competing with the hoard of twins, and even then we were still usually pretty far off.

I just gotta make sure I can convince enough of my boost buggy friends to run it next year at national events so there's at least some contingency on the line.  I don't expect participation to be high early on - just like it took a year for under prepped CAM guys to notice STP. Some people are lazy and will run ASP/DSP despite the tougher PAX because they still have magnets and that's where their buddies are (I know a few people that run ASP at local events still despite STC being a class, and I've seen this with people in Akron too). Obviously by the time Nats comes around this dynamic will change, but the early season Match Tours get filled up with local guys that aren't SRZ BZNS.

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled SSC discussion.
2014 Subaru WRX - 27 STX
2016 Ford Fiesta ST - 5 HS

Previous
2014 Subaru WRX - 27 STU
1994 "Ford" Probe GT - 27 STS