Author Topic: Cumberland Harvest Moon (9/16 & 9/17)  (Read 289 times)

Offline Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Modified
    • Primal Palate
Cumberland Harvest Moon (9/16 & 9/17)
« on: September 11, 2017, 07:44:27 PM »
Dad and I are heading down for both days. I think there's an after party at a nearby brewery on Saturday night, along with a Mason-Dixon shootout at the Saturday event. Weather looks to be upper 70s and nice both days, as of right now.

It's been about 6 years since we've been to an event down there, so definitely looking forward to it. Anyone else going?
Bill Staley

90 Civic R - SMF
02 s2000 - STR
14 RDX

Offline Habib88

• El Presidente/CEO
  • Modified
  • Go that way...really fast...
Re: Cumberland Harvest Moon (9/16 & 9/17)
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 08:48:29 PM »
Jay & Myself will be there.  8)

Fun fact the last time Lucky and the GT3 were together was at Dragway 42 almost 2 months ago.  The cars apparently decided on some mutual downtime after that  ::)

Anyone else looking to go...
http://myautoevents.com/pls/mae/frmClubDetail.Show?psclub_id=259
Chris Carlisle - NOW SPONSORED BY http://WWW.ZOMBO.COM !!!
89' Civic Si #77 STC...Joykiller Racing
92' Civic CX #77 SMF...Come at me bro
13' Honda Fit #7 HS...A silent but deadly toaster

Offline z28jeff

• Modified
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 08:27:22 AM »
I'm thinking about doing the Saturday event. Holding out till later in the week to see what the weather's doing. Not sure I have all the electrical gremlins sorted from this car, but only one way to find out.  :-\
2013 Kizashi SLS Sport AWD
2002 Corvette Z06
"The guy who invented the wheel was an idiot. The real genius was the guy who invented the other three."--Sid Caesar

Offline ericdc

• Chasing Corvettes
  • Global Moderator
  • Modified
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 12:09:06 PM »
Bob and I are going. They already posted that the shootout will be for cars with 201+ tread wear tires so no RE71Rs for some reason.

Apparently the airport is undergoing construction soon so the October event may be the last event there for quite some time.

I am hoping for a long 50' spaced slalom on the way out with fast offsets on the way back into a nice gradual sweeper. I'd put my money on a sea of cones though :)
Eric Coffman
16 Porsche Cayman GT4
17 Chevy Volt

Offline ericdc

• Chasing Corvettes
  • Global Moderator
  • Modified
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 09:53:49 PM »
Quick recap - Saturday wasn't the best. The course was almost work and the challenge was designed specifically to exclude all the PA fast people so a local dude could feel good about himself. Bruce Wesley crushed PAX.

Sunday was excellent. One of the most fun courses this year and the weather was amazing. It was a PAX battle all day between Bill Staley, Alan Eisenreich, Martin Valent, Chris Carlisle, and myself. Alan pulled off the PAX win in the final run of the event and I coned it away.  :P

Here is my fast but coned run. The Solostorm shows that I was .6 slower in the finish turn than my previous run so there was even more time out there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuU5RncWX5s
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 05:54:41 PM by ericdc »
Eric Coffman
16 Porsche Cayman GT4
17 Chevy Volt

Offline Prelude

• Modified
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 11:58:05 PM »
Well, I had intended to go to D42 this weekend, but a family wedding on the PA/WV border near Morgantown late Saturday afternoon would have made for a ton of driving.  Home Sat night and then up early to get to D42 on Sunday. Since I was only an hour from Cumberland and Jay and Chris had a hotel room, I went over there after the wedding and crashed on their floor for the night.

The course walked a lot worse than it drove.  The right hand kink after the first sweeper/pin turn was the worst element, but I seemed to be able to get through it quickly.  The delta between my first and last run was 2 seconds which is pretty rare for me, usually it is within a second, but I mostly just had to trust the grip since I haven't driven the car yet anywhere with that much grip.  I just kept pushing it more and more and it would just take it. 

I had a theory that high grip might be the cars achilles heal, but it actually transitions pretty damn good on the higher grip.  Sweepers are better with lower grip, as the rear will slide as it transfers the power to the rear.  The only real bad thing I noticed was more mid-corner push, but it still powered out of the turn pretty damn neutral. 

In the afternoon heat, I seemed to be plateauing on the 5th and 6th run, but I new the car would do a 39.  On the last run, I pushed a little more everywhere, screwed up the finish sweeper a little and was lucky that Eric coned away a run that would have been a tenth or so better in PAX.

Fastest run

Keys to the win:
1.  Sleeping on a hotel room floor on 3 pillows and a sleeping bag made for a 5 year old. 
2.  Sleeping in your clothes and putting on tomorrow's when you get cold in the middle of the night.
3.  Not sleeping very well.  See note 1 and 2.
4.  Luck when one competitor cones away a faster run and the other takes the afternoon runs off.
4.  Push, push, push.
"If you don't like your job, you don't strike, you just go in everyday and do it really half-assed.  That's the American way"
                                  --- Homer J. Simpson