Author Topic: Craigslist Find: ITB Volkwagen GTI  (Read 586 times)

Offline gmaloy

• Prepared
Greg Maloy
'91 CRX SiR STL
'96 Chevy K1500 "Big Blue" - Tow Vehicle
'07 Civic Si - Commuting at the speed of VTEC YO!!

Offline Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Modified
    • Primal Palate
Re: Craigslist Find: ITB Volkwagen GTI
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 04:12:17 PM »
Building a car seems SO stupid sometimes. Just buy one thats done in the $2500-7500 range. Like this one!

Edit: that sounded like it was directed at you Greg. It was actually just directed at everyone that's ever built a car.  ;D
Bill Staley

90 Civic R - SMF
02 s2000 - STR
14 RDX

Offline Mark Aubele

• Modified
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 05:32:16 PM »
Building a car seems SO stupid sometimes. Just buy one thats done in the $2500-7500 range. Like this one!

Edit: that sounded like it was directed at you Greg. It was actually just directed at everyone that's ever built a car.  ;D

I've been saying that for years. Then my dumbass went and built ANOTHER one over the winter that I will never be able to recoup costs from.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 01:46:31 PM by Mark Aubele »
'64 Ford F100
'97 M3
'12 135i

Offline ninetyfourintegra

• Modified
  • Ron Dodson 272 PTD
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 11:59:20 AM »
Definitely recommend buying vs building. I was going to build another integra, using parts from my old race car and parts from the integra to be built. Which would have cost me thousands and left me with nothing really to sell to recoup. Instead I sold both cars and bought one that was already built. I was break-even on initial transaction.

Buying does come with caveats, as you never really know what you are getting. But the money I've spent on the new one is still pennies on the dollar compared to where I would have been building (and likely would have had to do the same maintenance/repairs if I would have built)... AND, I was able to race it last year! No way I would have been able to complete a build in time.
Proud sponsor of the Allegheny Karting Series Yamaha Rookie Class. http://summertimeracing.com

"I went out first with Ron, and in all honesty I thought I was going to die... Thanks for the ride because thats what I needed was to get back in a car" -Habib88

Offline marka

• Modified
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 12:41:35 PM »
Howdy,

Someone should make me an offer on an ITA Neon that needs to be put together.  You'll pay (a little) less than what that dude is asking and get a car with decently better parts (GC Konis, clutch diff, custom final drive, lightweight wheels) when you're done putting it together.

Best of the build vs. buy world.

Mark

Offline GTI_Speed

• Modified
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 11:20:51 PM »
Lol build and buy! I need a bigger house...

Greg would I be able to put a MKV motor in this and run STL?
Alex A.

Steel Cities Region AutoX Chair
Current: 2016 Subaru WRX STI - 77 BS
History: 2008 VW GTI - 1 SMFT, 2003 BMW M3 - 77 STU

STCsolo.com    stcscca.com     NHSCC.com    GolfMKV.com     m3forum.net     iracing.com

Offline gmaloy

• Prepared
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 10:04:22 AM »
Lol build and buy! I need a bigger house...

Greg would I be able to put a MKV motor in this and run STL?

No turbos in STL.  This is the right car to have for H-Production tho, and ITB.

And on the build vs buy thing, honestly the big linchpin there is the cage.  There are A TON of cages out there that are total garbage, including the one on this VW actually.  See how the top door bar has a double bend on each end?  That's really bad practice. In the event of a T-bone that bar is now in tension and the only thing holding it from hitting you in the face is the strength of the weld.  A lot of people will advertise these as "NASCAR" bars but no stock car has a door bar that looks like that.

Now when most people start road racing (including me) you don't have much money so you buy a car with a bad cage and accept the risk.  Building a race car is always a loss, but sometimes it's easier than trying to fix other people's bad designs.  It's tough to find a bargain on a car with a good cage and sometimes even tougher to try and "fix" a car that already has a bad cage in it.
Greg Maloy
'91 CRX SiR STL
'96 Chevy K1500 "Big Blue" - Tow Vehicle
'07 Civic Si - Commuting at the speed of VTEC YO!!