December 01, 2021, 07:40:59 pm

News:

Welcome to the new RacePA!

What have you done over the off season?

Started by fiestadan, February 23, 2016, 09:32:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

lprmesia

Woah - good thing I hadn't pulled the trigger on the clutch yet. I have the Exedy OEM Replacement in there now which was done in early October but I've had some issues with.

I think I may actually narrow the bushing list down. Since the '08-'14 WRX setup is pillow ball based, I think I might skip the Front Inner Lower Control Arm Bushing & Anti Lift Kit. Thinking the Rear Upper Inner Control Arm and Rear Trailing Arm Front are probably OK as is.

This just leaves:

• Gearbox Positive Shift Kit

• Rear Diff Positive Power Kit Bushings or Inserts (not sure which yet)

• Rear Positive Traction Kit

• Rear Differential Positive Power Front Kit

• Rear Subframe Positive Traction Kit

The SCCA is crazy. Add Konis, lighter wheels, a bar, RE71Rs, and a K&N Drop-In filter, and you're still in street class. Have a bone stock 350Z and add a HEAVIER carbon fiber hood for cosmetics over stock and BAM - you're in Street Mod.

Thank the Lord I was never a huge CF fan.
2014 Subaru WRX - 27 STH
2016 Ford Fiesta ST - 5 HS

gmaloy

January 30, 2017, 12:35:20 pm #101 Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 12:57:16 pm by gmaloy
Quote from: GTI_Speed on January 30, 2017, 12:13:17 pm
Good lord do I hate the SCCA ST ruleset. I honestly don't see how that could provide any performance benefit over a stock clutch, it's not a multiplate or anything, but maybe it engages .001 percent quicker...

Honestly one thing we might try locally and I'm going to bring it up here first is a new "Tuner" street tire class to get rid of the PAX based Tire Index we currently have. Think CAM for anything not Merica.

Better more consistent launches, robustness especially on a AWD car and especially at a pro.  Noticeable?  I dunno but enough for me to see it as an advantage.  Locally I wouldn't care but at a national event if someone admitted that to me and was near the front I would have no reservation saying "DQ yourself or I'm filing a protest."  In a nice way tho.
Greg Maloy
'91 CRX SiR STL
'96 Chevy K1500 "Big Blue" - Tow Vehicle
'07 Civic Si - Commuting at the speed of VTEC YO!!

ninetyfourintegra

What did I do this offseason? Nothing major  ::)
"I went out first with Ron, and in all honesty, I thought I was going to die... Thanks for the ride because that's what I needed was to get back in a car" -Habib88

GTI_Speed

Went full flat brim over the winter on the STI.

Full TBE (Grimmspeed DP, Tomei Ti Catback)
Stage 2 OTS Cobb Tune

Currently contemplating Stage 3 and playing with Tim and Ron in SM or keeping Stage 2 and maybe trying STU. Probs going to go wherever the competition is but main goal for the season is to get under 2min at PittRace so probs will go the dumb route and play with Tim and Ron haha.  :P
Alex A.

Steel Cities Region AutoX Chair
Current: 2016 Subaru WRX STI - 77 BS
History: 2008 VW GTI - 1 SMFT, 2003 BMW M3 - 77 STU

STCsolo.com    stcscca.com     NHSCC.com    GolfMKV.com     m3forum.net     iracing.com

lprmesia

If I can ever find a buyer for my 18x9.5 RPF1s (5x100 bolt pattern), I have some used RE71Rs I'd part with for probably like $100 (265/35/18). Otherwise I'll probably just hang onto them for a non-points event next year - like a PCA event or something.
2014 Subaru WRX - 27 STH

Jakebonz

My Mustang went from sounding like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8u-qxpjjaw#ws

to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8aNnRGT-rs#ws

I'm also trying to get a hold of Sam to order some Forgestar CF5 wheels, but he's a hard man to get a hold of.
"He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling."
- Jezza 19:3

2014 Ford Mustang GT #10 FS
1999 Mazda Miata #10 ES
Event Photos

Mark Aubele

Quote from: lprmesia on January 30, 2017, 02:36:54 pm
If I can ever find a buyer for my 18x9.5 RPF1s (5x100 bolt pattern), I have some used RE71Rs I'd part with for probably like $100 (265/35/18). Otherwise I'll probably just hang onto them for a non-points event next year - like a PCA event or something.

Hey I'll take those RE71rs if the first guy doesn't want them. Cash in hand. Need a set of tires to drive around on.
'64 Ford F100
'97 M3
'12 135i

spud_majic

Quote from: lprmesia on January 30, 2017, 12:28:17 pm
Woah - good thing I hadn't pulled the trigger on the clutch yet. I have the Exedy OEM Replacement in there now which was done in early October but I've had some issues with.

I think I may actually narrow the bushing list down. Since the '08-'14 WRX setup is pillow ball based, I think I might skip the Front Inner Lower Control Arm Bushing & Anti Lift Kit. Thinking the Rear Upper Inner Control Arm and Rear Trailing Arm Front are probably OK as is.

This just leaves:

• Gearbox Positive Shift Kit

• Rear Diff Positive Power Kit Bushings or Inserts (not sure which yet)

• Rear Positive Traction Kit

• Rear Differential Positive Power Front Kit

• Rear Subframe Positive Traction Kit

The SCCA is crazy. Add Konis, lighter wheels, a bar, RE71Rs, and a K&N Drop-In filter, and you're still in street class. Have a bone stock 350Z and add a HEAVIER carbon fiber hood for cosmetics over stock and BAM - you're in Street Mod.

Thank the Lord I was never a huge CF fan.

The stage 1 exedy won't give you any benefits from a performance standpoint. Honestly with the non restricted clutch line on WRX I bet you will have worse launches. Maybe some durability but that's it. As for its legality I'll leave that to the rule interpreters. Don't bother with an ALK. Add caster with offset top hats instead as the kits don't change dive angles any anyway The fronts are spherical but are rubber mounted. Replacing them is a wise choice.
Ron Williams
'12 subaru sti=#23
02 subaru wrx project. soon to be TTD/ESP
99 millenium lim mod kart-#23
Check out www.jsautodesigns.com and www.rocksteadytuning.com for parts and tuning needs
email me at [email protected]

z28jeff

Quote from: z28jeff on February 25, 2016, 11:41:02 am
Early in the offseason (Nov), I traded the Camaro for an 02 Z06. I was only able to put a couple hundred miles on it before putting it away for the winter. In that time I made a small list of things it was going to need before next summer. Some cosmetic, some electrical, some for stock-class compliance.
1. Have the paint professionally restored by Adam's Polishes own Dan Tyger. Status: Complete!
2. Replace turn signal flasher relay as turn signals only work half the time. Status: Part has arrived, waiting for me to install.
3. Replace broken Heads Up Display trim bezel in dash. Status: Part has arrived, waiting for me to install. I'll be doing this and the flasher relay at the same time since both items require removal of the dash pad.
4. Install LMC5 module in the BCM. C5 Corvettes had an issue with the steering wheel lock security feature. They all fail at some point, then your steering wheel is locked, your car is stuck in limp mode and you have to be towed to a dealer. The LMC5 is a new circuit that eliminates this security "feature" from the BCM entirely. Status: Ordered it last week. Should have it any day now.
5. Buy new autocross numbers/class letters. Status: Ordered a new set of "24 AS" from izoom graphics in reusable vinyl last week, should arrive any day now. *Update* The numbers have arrived, and they look great!
6. Replace awesome carbon fiber air bridge and Blackwing cold air intake with lame stock airbox.  :'( Status: Just found one on corvetteforum yesterday. Waiting for seller to message me the total with shipping.

That's probably all I'll get done before the first NHSCC event. As the season progresses, and once I settle in to the new ride, I'll see how far off the AS pace I am and start thinking about tires/suspension.

So that was last year's "to do" list. All of it was completed by my first event last spring. Did the first 5 or so events on the 6-yr-old Continental's that were on the car when I bought it. Started out almost 3 seconds off the AS pace and after a handful of events was getting within 1-1.5 seconds of the class leaders. At that point I figured I had learned the car well enough to benefit from some new tires. I then bought a set of RE71R's for the stock wheels (255/40/17F, 275/35/18R) With just the tires, I was able to compete for a few class wins and top 5 pax finishes before the season ended.

For this year I bought a Stranoparts front swaybar and plan to get a proper alignment before the first event. (Where's a good place to get an alignment for this car? Does Sam do this at his shop? I forgot to ask when I bought the bar from him.)
I also need to replace all fluids in the car, and if I have enough money left I'd like to replace all the rotors and go with whatever good autocross pad is out there now.

Looking forward to warmer weather so I can get back in the drivers seat of that beast. It's a lot of fun.  ;D
2013 Kizashi SLS Sport AWD
2002 Corvette Z06
"The guy who invented the wheel was an idiot. The real genius was the guy who invented the other three."--Sid Caesar

lprmesia

February 02, 2017, 05:08:53 pm #109 Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 05:17:14 pm by lprmesia
Welp - was going to run 245/40/17 - but the RE71R in that size has a load index of a 91. Apparently I need 94 or above.

So my options are:

• 245/40/17 in a 91 and just say to hell with it (16mm shorter overall diameter than stock)

• 235/45/17 in a 94 and be ok, but give up 10mm in tire

• 245/45/17 in a 97 and also be ok, but I'd be adding 9mm in diameter (4.5mm ride height increase - pretty sure I can't remove my inner fender well in Street Touring)

• 245/40/18 in a 95 and also be ok, but I'd be adding 10mm in diameter (5mm ride height increase - pretty sure I can't remove my inner fender well in Street Touring) and I'd also have to return my brand new 15.6lb RPF1s and shop for some heavier 18x8s.

Thoughts/feedback?
2014 Subaru WRX - 27 STH

Josh R.

Quote from: lprmesia on February 02, 2017, 05:08:53 pm
Welp - was going to run 245/40/17 - but the RE71R in that size has a load index of a 91. Apparently I need 94 or above.

So my options are:

• 245/40/17 in a 91 and just say to hell with it (16mm shorter overall diameter than stock)

• 235/45/17 in a 94 and be ok, but give up 10mm in tire

• 245/45/17 in a 97 and also be ok, but I'd be adding 10mm in diameter (5mm ride height increase - pretty sure I can't remove my inner fender well in Street Touring)

Thoughts/feedback?

Psssh just do the 245/40. I wouldn't be worried about that load rating. It's -121 lbs per tire. I ran that size RE71R on mine and I never died.
'97 Integra GS-R - ITS/DSP

'16 Frontier - Tow/Family Duty

lprmesia

February 02, 2017, 05:42:48 pm #111 Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 12:00:06 pm by lprmesia
Only -121 per tire?  :P

Any special accommodations with tire pressures? Last year I found a lot at night (I'm sure you already know which one) and spent about 10 minutes skidpad testing the tires to find the right pressures. I'd hate to have to do the same and blowout a tire, haha.

Update: Bought them anyway.
2014 Subaru WRX - 27 STH

HRERACING

Anyone interested in a D-Street VW R32?  Just confirmed I wont be running it this year. 60k miles and can be bought stock or as-is. Stay tuned for my new Class/car announcement.
Trevor D Hill Sr.
17 GS 2017 VW GTI Autobahn
17 DS 2004 VW R32
2001 Porsche 996 TT
2003.5 Lotus Esprit V8 TT
1994 Porsche 968
1981 Porsche 924 Turbo
1975 + 1988 VW Scirocco(low-milage originals)
previously ....
CS porsche 944
DSP VW scirocco
FSP VW scirocco