December 01, 2021, 06:56:49 pm

News:

Welcome to the new RacePA!

Tires

Started by lprmesia, June 11, 2016, 04:46:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lprmesia

Well, after 4 North Park events, 3 AHR events, 2 Steel City events, a Track Night in America, and a Lowkey event - The RE71Rs are cording (although the TNIA I think was the biggest culprit).

Before I get some new RE71Rs, are there any other tires out there I should consider?
2014 Subaru WRX - 27 STH
2016 Ford Fiesta ST - 5 HS

lprmesia

I think I've narrowed it down the following:

Bridgestone Potenza RE71R
Kuhmo Ecsta V720
Hankook Ventus RS3

Any feedback?
2014 Subaru WRX - 27 STH

paNX2K&SE-R

I believe the 2 fastest tires right now are the RE71R and the Rival-S.  I switched from RS-3 the new Maxxis VR-1 (because 245/15) and absolutely love it but I don't think it's quite as sticky as the other 2.
Matt
07 FXT Sport
99 Miata 10AE turbo
03.5 Infiniti G35 Sport

Prelude

If you are going to have some track time on them, I would stay away from the Kumhos.  I love them on my car, but they were having delamination issues on track days.  I don't know if they still are having the issues, but I had come across that in my research. 

Alan
"If you don't like your job, you don't strike, you just go in everyday and do it really half-assed.  That's the American way"
                                  --- Homer J. Simpson

GTI_Speed

Got the RE71's mounted on the STI today! From the sound of things post event rotation sounds like a good idea!
Alex A.

Steel Cities Region AutoX Chair
Current: 2016 Subaru WRX STI - 77 BS
History: 2008 VW GTI - 1 SMFT, 2003 BMW M3 - 77 STU

STCsolo.com    stcscca.com     NHSCC.com    GolfMKV.com     m3forum.net     iracing.com

lprmesia

Quote from: GTI_Speed on June 16, 2016, 05:40:53 pm
Got the RE71's mounted on the STI today! From the sound of things post event rotation sounds like a good idea!

You're not kidding. Burned through a set in 2 months.
2014 Subaru WRX - 27 STH

spud_majic

ive got a tire machine if you want to do rotations.  ;)
Ron Williams
'12 subaru sti=#23
02 subaru wrx project. soon to be TTD/ESP
99 millenium lim mod kart-#23
Check out www.jsautodesigns.com and www.rocksteadytuning.com for parts and tuning needs
email me at [email protected]

Bill

You guys that are just blowing through the hoosierstones... can you tell us all a little more about your miles?

IE:
How many street driven miles?
How many Highway driven miles?
How many Autocross events?

I'm considering getting a set for the s2000 (likely later this summer or next year). But I don't want a set that's going to last 2000 miles + 5 autocross events. That's some bullshit right there. I'd rather get the star specs that last 8000 miles and 5 events.  :P
Bill Staley

90 Civic R - SMF
02 s2000 - STR
14 RDX

spud_majic

if you want some street tires that last decent and are still somewhat competitive in autox the rs3's arent bad. have them on the sti and ive done several track days(1hr track time per day) plus who knows how many autocross runs on them plus street miles and they still have tread.
Ron Williams
'12 subaru sti=#23
02 subaru wrx project. soon to be TTD/ESP
99 millenium lim mod kart-#23
Check out www.jsautodesigns.com and www.rocksteadytuning.com for parts and tuning needs
email me at [email protected]

JDR17

June 17, 2016, 09:39:34 am #9 Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 09:47:24 am by JDR17
RE-71R life seems to be really dependent on the car, so you should try to ping some other S2k folks - the Vincents, for example.

FWIW, on the MR2 we got 4k+ and 200+ runs on set 1, 3k+ and 140+ runs from set 2 which started out shaved to ~5/32nds, and 4k+ and 140+ runs from set 3 which still had tread but we abandoned because they suffered poor cool weather grip after being freeze stored over the winter.
Edit: those miles are almost exclusively to/from events - not sure if those are street or highway considering I take as many 'back roads' as possible.  We run near zero toe all around.

marka

Howdy,

John, did you find performance shaved vs. not to matter?  I've heard conflicting info.

Mark

Jakebonz

By my estimation, I'm going to get 120 runs and close to 5k out of my Hoosierstones on the Mustang.  That does include a TNiA event and a ProSolo with a codriver as well as leaving them on the car in a cold garage over winter.  That, to me, is fairly decent wear considering it's a 400+ hp, 3600 pound car with all the power going to the rear wheels.
"He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling."
- Jezza 19:3

2014 Ford Mustang GT #10 FS
1999 Mazda Miata #10 ES
Event Photos

marka

Howdy,

Heh.  Wrong thread.

Mark

JDR17

Quote from: marka on June 17, 2016, 10:21:49 am
Howdy,

John, did you find performance shaved vs. not to matter?  I've heard conflicting info.

Mark

We didn't test back to back, so hard to say.  Freshly shaved worked quite well for Andrew.  ;D ;) 
I think new full tread can be good as long as you put a heat cycle on them prior to the day you want them their best.

lprmesia

Just a quick update - I ended up getting a 2nd set of RE71Rs which lasted well beyond the 2 months my initial set lasted. First set I think likely died quickly due to a TNIA event. From what I've come to understand, these tires don't really like building up that much heat for extended periods of time.

I had the 2nd set installed the first weekend in July, and I put another 15 events on them and still probably have somewhere around 25-30% of the tread remaining - this also includes daily driving, highway miles to events (2 Hershey trips, etc.), and the occasional backroad hairpin.

The 2nd set I did have heat cycled before install whereas the first set I did not - but I'm not entirely sure it made a difference. I broke the tires in at Central PA SCCA event (Mid State Airport) and it wasn't until the 5th or 6th run that they started to come alive, despite putting a good 200-300 miles on them before the event.
2014 Subaru WRX - 27 STH