December 01, 2021, 07:23:47 pm

News:

Welcome to the new RacePA!

ISO- Machine Shop or Machinist

Started by ///M3 Gusta, May 01, 2017, 01:20:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

///M3 Gusta

Hi-

I have two axle shafts that I need shortened, around an inch or so each.  Looking for a recommendation for a shop or machinist to do this work.  I don't necessarily need an automotive machine shop, I think someone with a band saw and lathe would be able to do the job.  Any leads appreciated.

Thanks,
John

Masher Manufacturing

I'm guessing you have CV joint axles, if not please describe farther.

Do you have enough spline left once they are cut down?  What about a snap ring groove?

If you don't care so much about end finishing, a thin cutoff wheel in a hand held grinder would work well enough.  Just be sure to mark the shaft all around then grind a bit, turn, grind , this will reduce the chances of an angled cut.

///M3 Gusta

This is what I need: http://osgiken.net/file/12401-BMW+E92+M3+-+LSD+Side+Flange+Modification.bin

Doing it with a cut off wheel is definitely plan B, but I'd like a smooth face cut and chamfer, if possible.

spud_majic

Ron Williams
'12 subaru sti=#23
02 subaru wrx project. soon to be TTD/ESP
99 millenium lim mod kart-#23
Check out www.jsautodesigns.com and www.rocksteadytuning.com for parts and tuning needs
email me at [email protected]

///M3 Gusta

Quote from: spud_majic on May 01, 2017, 05:57:36 pm
Diameter and length?

The splined end is 34.6mm, flange end is about 4.5", overall length as they sit now is about 6".

spud_majic

I may be able to help if you can't find anyone else. If you have a picture of the actual piece it would give me a better idea.
Ron Williams
'12 subaru sti=#23
02 subaru wrx project. soon to be TTD/ESP
99 millenium lim mod kart-#23
Check out www.jsautodesigns.com and www.rocksteadytuning.com for parts and tuning needs
email me at [email protected]

lorenzoscribe

Try calling Driveline Service Pittsburgh.  They are at 5212 Butler Street in Lawrenceville. 412-784-1991.

I used to use them to alter drive shaft lengths in a past life.  I believe they also do 1/2 shafts etc.   This shop has been there for decades. They know what they are doing.

Larry Steckel
AKA Lorenzo the Scribe

///M3 Gusta

Thanks Ron and Larry.  I will probably just go up and visit Driveline Service in person since its fairly close.

///M3 Gusta