October 23, 2019, 12:05:56 pm

News:

Welcome to the new RacePA!

5/7 NHSCC

Started by lprmesia, May 02, 2017, 11:49:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

lprmesia

Who's going?

I'll be there, but co-driving Ben's Focus RS while my transmission is being rebuilt.
2014 Subaru WRX - 27 STH
2016 Ford Fiesta ST - 5 HS

rterrill

Quote from: lprmesia on May 02, 2017, 11:49:20 am
Who's going?

I'll be there, but co-driving Ben's Focus RS while my transmission is being rebuilt.

I'll be there and be glad I moved out of BS to STR. ;D ;D
Rick Terrill
2006 Honda S2000 - 97 STR
1989 Honda CRX - 197 STL

lprmesia

Quote from: rterrill on May 02, 2017, 12:18:21 pm
I'll be there and be glad I moved out of BS to STR. ;D ;D

Oh don't flatter me too much, haha.  :P Still driving a car I'm not used to - though Ben is super quick in that thing. If Alan shows up, we're all screwed, haha.

But it's not like STR is a walk in the park either with Forrest getting reclassed from STU to STR. Though he keeps talking about moving to Street Prepared. Maybe help talk him into it, haha.

Either way, look forward to running this weekend.
2014 Subaru WRX - 27 STH

ericdc

As of right now it is forecast for 37/48 degrees with 20mph winds and rain showers.
Eric Coffman
16 Porsche Cayman GT4
17 Chevy Volt

lprmesia

The Tuesday before the 4/23 event, it said an 80% chance of rain with a high in the low 50s.

It ended up sunny, beautiful, and 78 degrees. One can only wish.
2014 Subaru WRX - 27 STH

neonmike22

I've made my annual trip to PA and will be there with my GTI.   ;D
Michael Carpenter
'12 VW GTI DSG - 22 GS

lprmesia

Coned away PAX today  >:( - either way, super grateful Ben let me drive his Focus RS while the Subaru is under the knife for the next few weeks.

No video - forgot the right mount for the GoPro (still attached to the Subaru), but hopefully Ben got some footage I can post later. Ended up 3rd (I think?) in PAX behind Bob Smith and Bruce Wesley. Congrats to those guys - seems like we're always battling it out (with Jay getting FTD once again).

Focus RS compared to the WRX:

Pros:
Power band - The WRX makes no power below 3500 RPMS - the RS just GOES!!! Power throughout all the RPM ranges is excellent.
Power - Top end is better too, but man that bottom end power on the RS is awesome.
Launch Control - The WRX has launch control thanks to the AP - but it's still very manual. You need to ease off the clutch in the WRX. In the RS, all you need to do is floor it and drop the clutch - the car does the rest. Super consistent getting off the line.
Brakes - holy crap this car can stop on a dime, especially compared to the WRX.
Steering Ratio - much better than the 15:1 ratio of the WRX which feels like trying to turn a school bus at times.

Cons:
Vague steering. The RS is rather vague in the slaloms and quick transitions. It dives well in the corners, but the RS doesn't have toe or camber adjustment (and is running a much softer suspension - the WRX is on 10K springs F/R with -2.5 front camber and .65 of toe out in front). The WRX is very responsive and very planted - the RS feels like it has a high center of gravity and it's vague - like it's not connected to the road but that you're driving through a buffer.
So many nanny controls. There's a regular mode, sport mode, track mode, and drift mode which I'm guessing control the torque vectoring. The advice I got was to run it in track mode with stability control off and the sport shock mode off. I almost feel that it was too much. I had one run where I was patient getting on the throttle getting around a turn, then the car sent all the power to the rear unexpectedly at the end of the turn and sent the car into a fit. Completely unpredictable. If I ever get another go at one, I might consider running it in sport mode (backed down on the vectoring) or drift mode (just super rotation heavy). It rotates for sure, but with the back of the car being unpredictable, it ended up costing me on later runs driving more pedestrian trying to keep it under control. Also, launch control can only be done by clicking through a bunch of settings only once you're at the line - as soon as you move forward, put the car in neutral, release the clutch, or even breathe funny it shuts off and you need go through the process again. The WRX is just one button for the traction control on/off and the launch control is always on. With the WRX, I'm driving the car - with the RS, I'm asking the computer to drive the car. Having that buffer between the driver and the road can sometimes be frustrating.

All in all, a great experience, but would definitely want more seat time in one playing with the different controls before I'd put money down to buy one. My best was a 30.5 (+1) and a 30.8 (clean), but I feel like if the car would have backed off on some of the nanny controls and had options for an alignment, a 30.0 flat would have easily been within reach.
2014 Subaru WRX - 27 STH

marka

Howdy,

Wait.  A Focus RS doesn't have toe adjustment?  What?

Mark

SK360

Launch control?  I thought that was left and right pedal all the way in then release left pedal... didn't know they needed fancy systems for it...  :P
Matt Simmons
2014 Corvette Z51. 617rwhp/575rwtq

pinchvalve

Turned out to be a nice day.  I was working hard to apply what I learned from the Evo School the day before and I am happy to say that I did.  I was trying to beat a really good time set by Chris, and applying what I learned, I was able to calm down and get my time down where it needed to be.  Sure, Chris went even faster, but I didn't feel like I left any time out there.  I did everything I could and he simply crushed it.  Awesome! So thanks to Chris too, without someone to chase, I doubt I'd be pushing as hard and learning as much.     
2014 Fiesta (77HS)

lprmesia

May 08, 2017, 09:30:17 am #10 Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 09:42:35 am by lprmesia
Quote from: marka on May 08, 2017, 01:46:18 am
Howdy,

Wait.  A Focus RS doesn't have toe adjustment?  What?

Mark

I probably should have googled before I posted (said no one on any political argument ever). Just went off what I "heard".

Yes, there are actually BOTH camber and toe adjustments on the stock RS suspension. Factory specs is 1.5 degrees of negative camber in front and 0 toe. Rear is 1 degree of negative camber and 0.15 degrees toe IN.

Also read you can crank about another half a degree of camber on them. The owner was having to run 38-40 PSI on the stones to prevent them from rolling - and they were still rolling even at those pressures.)

Also thanks to Pinchvalve for getting footage of my best (coned) run that would have won PAX, haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOJIWkcQrKo#ws

2014 Subaru WRX - 27 STH

lprmesia

Quote from: pinchvalve on May 08, 2017, 09:27:50 am
Turned out to be a nice day.  I was working hard to apply what I learned from the Evo School the day before and I am happy to say that I did.  I was trying to beat a really good time set by Chris, and applying what I learned, I was able to calm down and get my time down where it needed to be.  Sure, Chris went even faster, but I didn't feel like I left any time out there.  I did everything I could and he simply crushed it.  Awesome! So thanks to Chris too, without someone to chase, I doubt I'd be pushing as hard and learning as much.     

Dave - it shows. You were only 2 tenths down from Bob for PAX on a non-HS friendly course. You crushed it out there today.
2014 Subaru WRX - 27 STH

CeeBee

May 08, 2017, 08:28:28 pm #12 Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 06:33:35 am by CeeBee
Thanks Dave. It's great to come back and instantly have someone fast to run with. Something about putting a number 77 on your car must be worth a couple tenths, I swear.  Hi Chris!

First event with the new rear bar and it was definitely an improvement  but found it inconsistent so far with predictable rotation compared to an STS car.  Could've been any number of reasons for that though. 

Course was real fun.  Always a big fan of going up the right side of the lot like the old days.  And slaloms.

I want to get a better camera setup eventually. I guess gopro is the standard.

Best run.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W2hS4XhDsE#ws

Dammit I still can't figure out how to properly post a video. I am getting old.
(MODERATOR DIVINE INTERVENTION!  Remove the "s" from https and add "#ws" onto the end to make it wide screen! - Habibs)
Oops, that last one was Dave's video.
Chris Buntrock
27 DS - RS Grey

Habib88

May 09, 2017, 01:39:21 am #13 Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 01:43:46 am by Habib88
Quote from: CeeBee on May 08, 2017, 08:28:28 pm
Thanks Dave. It's great to come back and instantly have someone fast to run with. Something about putting a number 77 on your car must be worth a couple tenths, I swear.  Hi Chris!

Dave you brought a black car with the number 77 on the side to the fight.  You brought this on yourself  ;D  Seriously its cool watching you guys duke it out!

Course was real fun.  Always a big fan of going up the right side of the lot like the old days.  And slaloms.

Only a few old timers got that.  I think a lot of the newer autocrossers were like what the hell is this?  First slalom needed tweaked, but never got around to doing it before the course was opened.  Still it worked ok.  Funny looking at the course stats my course had more cone hits than some of the other courses this year combined.  Though aside from the two slaloms the crossover got a ton of action with cars wiping out the green cones there.

Thanks again to Matt for hooking me up with the CRX codrive!  I was having issues with the back of the car and never really trusted it.  I figured it out by the end of the day, but it was a too little too late.  Fun fact the fast way down through the crossover in the CRX was to not brake at all and just hold the throttle at a fixed position.  Also I did the first slalom like I was driving a mac truck through it that didn't help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMZIPXKhE5c#ws
Chris Carlisle - NOW SPONSORED BY http://WWW.ZOMBO.COM !!!
89' Civic Si #77 STC...Joykiller Racing
92' Civic CX #77 SMF...Come at me bro
13' Honda Fit #7 HS...A silent but deadly toaster

neonmike22

What was the deal with everyone launching with the car pointed towards the timing trailer?
Michael Carpenter
'12 VW GTI DSG - 22 GS

lprmesia

Quote from: neonmike22 on May 09, 2017, 06:04:46 pm
What was the deal with everyone launching with the car pointed towards the timing trailer?

Guilty.

Going diagonally through the starting gates (pre timer) gives another few feet of acceleration prior to the tripping the start. So even if that little bit of distance gets me as little as an extra 3 MPH off the start before I hit the timer (I was straightening out at the timer, so I wasn't adding actual timed distance), in just 2 seconds of acceleration off the line, that's an extra 8.8 feet I've gained. At a 60 MPH finish, that's about a tenth of a second shaved off my time.
2014 Subaru WRX - 27 STH

pinchvalve

Quote from: Habib88 on May 09, 2017, 01:39:21 am

Dave you brought a black car with the number 77 on the side to the fight.  You brought this on yourself  ;D  Seriously its cool watching you guys duke it out!

For the record, I was running #77 when Chris showed up at his first event, not yet shaving and getting lost on course.  (Yes, I am that old).
2014 Fiesta (77HS)