December 01, 2021, 08:01:32 pm

News:

Welcome to the new RacePA!

Subaru Tech Wanted

Started by scca-racerx, May 03, 2017, 02:09:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

scca-racerx

I got a CLUNK. Apparently so have other people.  I can get the car to CLUNK everytime.
https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=45121523&posted=1#post45121523

It happens at low speeds, usually starting out, going forward, steering to the left.  CLUNK.
Doesn't happen at any other time.  Sitting still, cranking the steering wheel = no clunk.  Driving at any speed faster than starting out while steering = no clunk.  Checked front sway bar, struts, half shafts and all are where they are supposed to be and all bolts are in place tightly fastened.

It seems to be either the steering rack or the electric steering pump.  So, if you are a subaru tech and want to drive my wrx to work for a couple of days to figure this out, let me know.  I am going to see if there is a TSB on the rack or pump.  Aren't cars fun.   >:(
Joe Montuoro
2016 Subaru WRX

"IT COULD BE WORSE, IT COULD BE RAINING."
Young Frankenstien

Josh R.

I'll bet you $100 its the strut mount (if your wife allows).
'97 Integra GS-R - ITS/DSP

'16 Frontier - Tow/Family Duty

scca-racerx

If it is a strut mount, it would clunk under high speed transitions, which it does not.  I'll put a cheater bar on the bolts that hold the strut in place at the top of the fender and see how tight I can make them while trying not to snap one off.  I did check those visually and tried to shake the crap out of them with the car jacked up = no movement.

I would be really embarrassed if a wheel came of at an autocross (cough - Mark).  Or if my steering rack broke.

This is why I like driving other peoples cars.
Joe Montuoro
2016 Subaru WRX

Young Frankenstien

Josh R.

Did you check the shaft nut? That's the one that will make a difference if any.
Also look/tighten end links.
If not those...money still on strut mount.
'97 Integra GS-R - ITS/DSP

'16 Frontier - Tow/Family Duty

scca-racerx

Ok, it is the strut doing the clunking.  There is a rubber cover piece on top of the strut.  If I put my hand on it, I can feel the vibration when it clunks.  I shall do some more investigation and see what I can turn up.
Joe Montuoro
2016 Subaru WRX

Young Frankenstien

NHSCC08

Isn't your car still under warranty?  Did you get an extended warranty?

Ray

spud_majic

the top hat is a ball bearing into the center, you will feel any clunk tranfer through there. do you have a stock front sway bar? what end links are you using? does the clunk start right at turning or is it only when you turn a certain amount? the likely reason i see is the force vector on the strut at low speeds is different enough that when turning, the scrub radius and akerman is causing a directional load change. translation. check your strut camber bolts. or anything that can rock one way or the other from force.
Ron Williams
'12 subaru sti=#23
02 subaru wrx project. soon to be TTD/ESP
99 millenium lim mod kart-#23
Check out www.jsautodesigns.com and www.rocksteadytuning.com for parts and tuning needs
email me at [email protected]

scca-racerx

Upon further review - No bolts are loose.  I put a wrench on everything.  They were tight to begin with.  The CLUNK happens only turning left inside the left strut.  I had my son turn the steering wheel while I put my hand on every component to see if there was a vibration when the clunk happened.  No binding of the eibach front sway bar or the stock end links.  No vibration of those components when clunking. 

The clunk happens approximately 7 to 10 degrees turning left. And only then. And you can feel it when your hand is on top of the strut, and only there.  Almost like the Strut rod is broke and clicking out of place, but that would make noise when braking as well.

Backstory - these STI struts were purchased on craigslist.  So, you get what you pay for.  How you damage a strut without crashing or jumping the car is beyond me.  All I know is it shouldn't go CLUNK - ever.  I have the original struts still in a box in my garage.  Maybe I bought a broken part from craigslist.   :o

I will continue to run it until I hear crunchy noises or until the strut explodes.  By design, a rotational force on a strut should not make it do anything.  At least the wheel won't fall off. 
Joe Montuoro
2016 Subaru WRX

Young Frankenstien

GTI_Speed

Joe, my STI has been making some clunking noises from the front end as well but that is mostly only from intense directional changes while cone dodging. I didn't notice anything like that driving Chris' car this past weekend. I'll be interested to hear what you find.
Alex A.

Steel Cities Region AutoX Chair
Current: 2016 Subaru WRX STI - 77 BS
History: 2008 VW GTI - 1 SMFT, 2003 BMW M3 - 77 STU

STCsolo.com    stcscca.com     NHSCC.com    GolfMKV.com     m3forum.net     iracing.com

np94

I'll see Josh's strut mount and raise you a strut bearing. It may seem some bit of work, but honestly, if I were that concerned, I'd just take the strut off and inspect the bearing - then while you have it off, inspect everything else.

FWIW, I've had a click on the GTI that I could hear/feel while turning the wheel one direction and passing through a degree range and discovered that it was in fact the bearing. In my opinion, that's the most likely component that's close to where you're feeling and would click/clunk with rotation under essentially no load. As with all things internet, this is also most likely not it.
Nick Phillips
Steel Cities Region AutoX Chair
Past: 2011 E92 M3, 2008 GTI
Present: N/A
Future: 'Murica

scca-racerx

Saw Ron Williams and Alex Piehl at the subaru gathering at Quaker Steak and Lube in Robinson and the diagnosis is crappy top hat bearing/bushing.  I might just order the whole strut and save some time by spending extra money.
Joe Montuoro
2016 Subaru WRX

Young Frankenstien

MrDirt

Joe, I have a whole spare set of STI top hats. 6pk of a tasty IPA for the one you need?
Chris K
427DS - '16 WRX

scca-racerx

May 08, 2017, 06:26:58 am #12 Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 07:44:33 am by scca-racerx
How about I give you a whole case of your favorite IPA and you help me make the switch?  At least this will prevent me from launching a top hat thru my face.  Seriously, I need all the help I can get.  I'll send you a text.

I know it is a 5 minute job for most of you, but I don't have the spring clamps and I tend to break things.

A new strut is $400, so that isn't going to happen.  Since I have an existing set of WRX front struts I'll just swap parts from those (unless I launch one thru my face).  That way I will have all of the parts.  Josh is probably right and it is a strut mount so I'll change that as well.  Off to harbor freight to get some spring clamps.  I have seen people do this with zip ties and I am pretty sure that isn't safe.
Joe Montuoro
2016 Subaru WRX

Young Frankenstien

MrDirt

The factory springs are not under a ridiculous amount of preload. Certainly still dangerous, but they're not gonna put a hole in your face or the roof of your garage. I have spring clamps too and I'm happy to help you with the job. It'll only take an hour!
Chris K
427DS - '16 WRX