October 21, 2019, 04:56:04 pm

News:

Welcome to the new RacePA!

Helpers for Evo School this weekend

Started by GTI_Speed, May 04, 2017, 09:37:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GTI_Speed

Hey Autocrossers, due to some unfortunate post match tour scheduling for Evo School (I didn't think that one out...) and a few STC AutoX Board members attending the event as students, helpers have been hard to come by. Nick and I are pretty desperate at this point so please let me know if you are interested in helping. It's a pretty chill day, no cone shagging, and we just need someone to help make sure things are running smoothly.
Alex A.

Steel Cities Region AutoX Chair
Current: 2016 Subaru WRX STI - 77 BS
History: 2008 VW GTI - 1 SMFT, 2003 BMW M3 - 77 STU

STCsolo.com    stcscca.com     NHSCC.com    GolfMKV.com     m3forum.net     iracing.com

Jakebonz

Assuming they're using our stuff, maybe you could keep me around the timing trailer during my work assignment for an extra hand 50% of the time?
"He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling."
- Jezza 19:3

2014 Ford Mustang GT #10 FS
1999 Mazda Miata #10 ES
Event Photos

GTI_Speed

They are using our equipment. We will just be using the digital displays.
Alex A.

STCsolo.com    stcscca.com     NHSCC.com    GolfMKV.com     m3forum.net     iracing.com

GTI_Speed

Also, you will be compensated with FREE Subway for helping!  :P
Alex A.

np94

Dan you're the best. I know I said Tim was the best last Sunday, when he was hooking up the trailer to his truck, but that was just in the heat of the moment.

Really people, I'd so appreciate any additional help.
Nick Phillips
Past: 2011 E92 M3, 2008 GTI
Present: N/A
Future: 'Murica

pinchvalve

I wanted to extend a big thank you to everyone who helped make this event happen.  It was my first EVO school and despite the horrible weather, food poisoning the night before, zero sleep and total lack of prep, I learned a lot. 
2014 Fiesta (77HS)

Jakebonz

Sorry I couldn't help out more, Nick.  Driving and work assignments  :(

Anyway, my in-car video finally finished processing and uploading...all two hours of it!

Phase One
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eslg24IHRL4#ws

Phase Two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGeFEH-qUmM#ws

Phase One was very similar to what I experienced the past three years at the PVGP school we put on, so it almost felt Phase One was just more of the same.  Don't get me wrong, seat time with good instruction is always welcome, but I never felt like I progressed during the day.  In fact, my times got worse.  The only thing I really learned is to never drive my car in 2nd in the wet.

Phase Two was very useful and a much better experience if you've already taken a few AutoX schools in the past.  Everyone says "look ahead" to the point where it's now just background noise.  I look ahead just fine.  My instructors and video prove that.  What I wasn't doing was processing what I was seeing into useful information.  That's what I really took away from Phase Two.

Later in the week, I intend on doing split screens of my Phase Two runs comparing the start and the end of a session to see where I really improved.

1999 Mazda Miata #10 ES
Event Photos

marka

Howdy,

Yeah, Phase II was always my favorite Evo school.  I thought it did a much better job of translating to stuff you actually need to perform well at an autox and you couldn't "improve" just by rote memorization of the course.

Fun to have a backseat view on other instructors.  :-)

Mark

Jakebonz

Agreed.

Even though I was told otherwise, I sort of feel like the course elements of Phase I were each taught in a vacuum.  I can see how repetition can be helpful to a newcomer, but it wasn't helping me any, especially in the weather conditions on Saturday.  The instructors kept saying they were going to torture us with all of the course changes and whatnot, but I quite enjoyed it.  It caused me to think critically about how each element linked together, the different lines I would have to take, the new acceleration / braking zones, etc.

I honestly think that for the next PVGP School we host, we should at least think about reversing the course after lunch.  I don't think you learn as much if you're running the same course 30 times.

1999 Mazda Miata #10 ES
Event Photos

marka

May 08, 2017, 09:52:02 pm #9 Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 09:56:23 pm by marka
Howdy,

Quote from: Jakebonz on May 08, 2017, 04:29:28 pm
I honestly think that for the next PVGP School we host, we should at least think about reversing the course after lunch.  I don't think you learn as much if you're running the same course 30 times.

It depends on the student.

I 100% agree that for someone that's been through an evo phase 1 (or PVGP school), and who is trying to find that last second or so, a phase II is a better course because it maps better to actual high level autox competition.  You have to be able to think ahead and adapt on the fly quickly and that's mostly what a phase II is all about.

However, a phase 1 (or PVGP style) course is good for a first couple years autoxer or someone who is new to autox instruction.  You need those building blocks.  If you're a person that finds significant time on your 10th run on a course, you're (IMHO) not ready yet for a phase II and the extra stuff the phase II throws at you will distract you from the basic building blocks that you have to learn.

Of course, its all shades of grey...  I've talked to national champs who've said that they really like to take a phase I to get back to basics and cement them and I've seen a phase II click and really help out a complete new comer.  But I think those are the exceptions.  And the Evo instructors do an awesome job in my experience teaching to the student they actually have in the seat, so even if you're not getting the supposed point of a phase II as a rank newbie, you're still getting awesome 1:1 instruction.

YMMV.

Mark

Jakebonz

May 08, 2017, 10:22:33 pm #10 Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 11:17:30 pm by Jakebonz
All very true.  If we do have another one next year, can we at least change the course?  ;D

Anyway, I decided to have some fun with editing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LlB_zTt7-Q#ws

Edit: And I also tossed together the best evidence as to why an experienced AutoXer should do what they can to take Phase II:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLh9ixB0AlSUtIa9PIM_rb0Z6BREGhu0l1

1999 Mazda Miata #10 ES
Event Photos