October 23, 2019, 12:01:21 pm

News:

Site settings updated:  Apologies for the inconvenience; but recent changes require all members to login again to improve site security.

STC Event 10 - 10/15

Started by collinskl1, October 13, 2017, 08:06:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

collinskl1

Who's in?

Looks like it may be a wet one to finish off the season.
Kyle Collins
0 BS - Focus RS

Jakebonz

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/steel-cities-solo-event-10-pittsburgh-international-race-compl-scca-470151

Keep in mind that PittRace has its own weather patterns.  I've been there when the storm clouds parted around us and soaked everything around us except the VDA.  I've also been unlucky enough to be working course when one teeny little cloud floated over us and dumped on us.

Still, I think the morning is supposed to be pretty dry.  If you do come out, make sure you get a clean, fast one out of the way in the morning.
"He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling."
- Jezza 19:3

2014 Ford Mustang GT #10 FS
1999 Mazda Miata #10 ES
Event Photos

collinskl1

I'll be there with rain gear just in case. My best chance for moving up the DotY standings is a wet day and help from the AWD magic.

Either way, it'll be fun!
Kyle Collins
0 BS - Focus RS

Jakebonz

Windy, yes, but another gorgeous day at PittRace and yet another event with 6 dry runs for everyone.  I remember two years back when it seemed like it was a threat to rain / did rain at every single event.

Anyway, if I did my math right, I think I might have maintained my 10th place spot for DotY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvJhcqruYbg#ws
"He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling."
- Jezza 19:3

2014 Ford Mustang GT #10 FS
1999 Mazda Miata #10 ES
Event Photos

JDR17

Results are up!  http://stcsolo.com/standings/

Congrats again to Chris on DOY!  And congrats to all the class winners.

As always, please let me know if any corrections are needed.

r,
John Ryan

(Yes Dan, you rounded out the top 10 on DOY :) )

scca-racerx

Nothing like coning away a half a second improvement on your last run of the year.  A big thanks to Chris Kavka for letting me co-drive.  His car is better.  I am not sure if it is the tires or what.  It seems to be more predictable and confidence inspiring during the more aggresive high speed stuff.  I never got to the cars limit - just my limit.  Thanks to all for making this event a lot less exciting.

Now to get pittrace to pave to the woods.   ;D
Joe Montuoro
2016 Subaru WRX

"IT COULD BE WORSE, IT COULD BE RAINING."
Young Frankenstien

Open Loop

Congratulations to Chris on a great season! 

And a huge THANK YOU to our Solo co-chairs, Alex and Nick, and to all the volunteers who make the events happen.  Obviously a lot of work goes into planning, setting up, running and tearing down after each event. 

I am already looking forward to next season! 
Peter S.
Scion FR-S (32 SSC)

GTI_Speed

What a great way to close out the season! The Gods above PittRace blessed us with yet another full day of dry weather despite some pretty ominous clouds lurking about. It was great seeing some old faces and a whole bunch of new ones at our final event of the year! I know most of those new faces probably aren't on RacePA but if you brought a friend please turn them towards this site and the facebook group Pittsburgh Autocross. Also, wish I had more to time to talk crap and hang with more of you during the event but the day goes by so fast with only 2 heats, hope you all enjoyed the course (hey we only had one pin turn this year ok!) Nick and I were very weary of things while creating it.

Thanks to Tim Ward for bringing the Hoosiers out to play! Was more than glad to help out and get you a trophy for SM this season. Also was was able to get some testing in to confirm some fitment type things for what I want to do for next season.

Congrats to all the class winners, Hot Shoe Finalists, DOY Chris Kavka and Novice of the Year Kyle Collins! Thank you to everyone who comes out to race and support the club we wouldn't be able to do this without you guys and gals either and huge thanks to the rest of the board for supporting Nick and I's mental health along the way lol.
Alex A.

Steel Cities Region AutoX Chair
Current: 2016 Subaru WRX STI - 77 BS
History: 2008 VW GTI - 1 SMFT, 2003 BMW M3 - 77 STU

STCsolo.com    stcscca.com     NHSCC.com    GolfMKV.com     m3forum.net     iracing.com

scca-racerx

Quote from: Jakebonz on October 15, 2017, 08:45:04 pm

Anyway, if I did my math right, I think I might have maintained my 10th place spot for DotY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvJhcqruYbg#ws

If Ted would have had one more event, we would all have bumped down a spot as he could have finished as high as 5th.

When I grow up, I want to drive like Ted.   ;D

Thanks Alex and Nick for putting up with us idiots.  If you think it being an autox chair is easy, congradulations - you have volunteered.
Joe Montuoro
2016 Subaru WRX

"IT COULD BE WORSE, IT COULD BE RAINING."
Young Frankenstien

Habib88

It was nice to make one more event for the year with SCR!  I don't want to see pin turns become a thing, but the one on Sunday was pretty well executed if you had a little patience to get it right.  Saw a lot of people trying to hustle that turn way too much and ending up a few feet off the pin itself.

Thanks to Alan for letting me run the S3 for the day.  It's actually something we've been planning for awhile it just didn't come together till now.  Biggest thing I had to get used to was running a car with a DSG gearbox and how it behaves in a slide.  The AWD system easily makes the extra weight manageable.  I just didn't get on the same page with the car in 6 runs.  My fastest raw time would have been good for I think 6th in PAX, but ending up in 11th was a lot more telling of my day with the car.  If you watch Alan through the faster stuff the back end of the car just slides around ever so slightly.  One of the times I tried the same I lifted at the wrong time and the car snapped in the slalom so I backed off a little.  Still it drives really well I'm sure I'll be in it again sometime next year.

Thanks to all the SCR crew for putting on a great event!
Chris Carlisle - NOW SPONSORED BY http://WWW.ZOMBO.COM !!!
89' Civic Si #77 STC...Joykiller Racing
92' Civic CX #77 SMF...Come at me bro
13' Honda Fit #7 HS...A silent but deadly toaster

pinchvalve

I had a great time at the last event of the season.  I am trying to focus on being a better driver, and part of that is breaking down a run, identifying where you can find time, and making adjustments.  I have never been any good at that, but it is starting to click in fits and spurts. 

Sunday, the other Fiesta ST was kind enough to show me what my car was capable of, so that took away my "well, I am  probably going as fast as the car can go" excuse. So I thought about what I learned at Evo school, what Sam, Alex, Lloyd, Bob, Mike, Dan and others have tried to teach me and I came up with a plan that involved being smooth, looking ahead and not overdriving.  (I know, duh!) And it worked! I lowered my times.  I even did a control run where I was very hard on the gas and hard on the brakes, and it was my slowest run of the day. I was even able to do stuff like the fast guys, like no brakes for most of the course.  Cool. 

So while I got beat by over a second, I was very happy with my performance and loved the challenge of this course.  Thanks to all who make it happen.
2014 Fiesta (77HS)

Prelude

Thanks to Chris for the co-drive as I wanted to see how the added heat of two drivers would effect the car.  My conclusion is that in the heat of summer, I think it would be pretty hard to keep those front tires cool with two drivers.

Anyway, here is Chris's fastest raw time:

http://youtu.be/HVSSrPIzxCI

Here is my fastest run, just not quite enough for a PAX win.

http://youtu.be/GJ27P0a6LTY

Alan

"If you don't like your job, you don't strike, you just go in everyday and do it really half-assed.  That's the American way"
                                  --- Homer J. Simpson

lprmesia

October 19, 2017, 09:57:29 am #12 Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 11:49:49 am by lprmesia
A 1.1 second difference which seems like a ton, but your runs were pretty much identical minus a few spots. It's amazing how the little things add up.

It's no SoloStorm - but still a fun tool.

http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DGJ27P0a6LTY&start1=6&video2=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DHVSSrPIzxCI&start2=5&authorName=

Were you guys spraying tires? Also speaking of tires - if you need help getting any to Hershey, we have extra room. Just let me know.
2014 Subaru WRX - 27 STH
2016 Ford Fiesta ST - 5 HS

Prelude

Given another event I think that Chris would get to within .5 sec of me.  I always considered us pretty much the same driver, especially in ST Civic's.  The one year we co-drove his, I may have gotten the upper hand a few more events, but it was pretty damn close. 

Anywho, the left before the dumpster turn was where just driving the car help as I knew how to slide it through there and on my last run I finally nailed it.  But I don't think I ever got the power on as early as I could through that turn, and it is probably because I wasn't looking ahead enough.  i don't seem to ever recall really looking that far ahead through that corner,  That tends to be my biggest problem sometimes. 

We were spraying even though it wasn't sunny, wasn't really warm and the pavement was cold.  We might have been too aggressive with the spraying, but we were trying to prevent a lot of heat building up as there was only 7-8 minutes between runs. 

Thanks for the offer on taking a few tires.  It turns out that my in-laws are going to come out and go to Hershey Park with Shannon and Molly on Saturday, so we are taking two cars anyway.  However I don't think they will want to smell RE-71R's on the way out, so as long as I can get them in the S3 I should be good.  I actually still have the RE's on as I am lazy, but Saturday I will be  putting the all season's on and testing that I can get them all in the car ok with my AutoX stuff. 
"If you don't like your job, you don't strike, you just go in everyday and do it really half-assed.  That's the American way"
                                  --- Homer J. Simpson

Open Loop

I thought that this was a particularly challenging course to figure out, but it may be that it was a little different from what I have seen so far. 

In particular, through the section after leaving the 180 degree right turn after the pin cone, to the dumpster turn, I wondered whether I should I make it a series of connected wider-radius arcs to maintain more speed through the shallow s-bend element (risking being off the throttle for longer), or should I try to make two straights as much as possible with a quick brake dab and getting the turning done in the immediate vicinity of the s-bend (risking getting into the throttle dip of my car), or whether the right way lay somewhere in between.  I recognize that there is more to it than that, and there is a subtlety to the final decision making process that I really don't yet appreciate.  But really fun to walk it, drive it, talk about it, and work toward figuring it out.
Peter S.
Scion FR-S (32 SSC)