October 23, 2019, 01:23:22 pm

News:

Site settings updated:  Apologies for the inconvenience; but recent changes require all members to login again to improve site security.

Tacoma transfer case

Started by lorenzoscribe, July 11, 2019, 09:55:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

lorenzoscribe

Guys,
Does anyone out there know a shop who is up to speed with the transfer case system on the 2000-2004 Toyota Tacoma?   

Mine has decided to stop working, and every tranny shop I have talked to refuses to look at it. I am also told that the local Toyota dealer doesn't have a tech who can work on it.  Imagine that.

I guess its a situation where the trucks didn't break often when they were newer, and now that they are old (mine is sixteen years old ) no one knows the systems. I appreciate any suggestions.

Larry Steckel
2003 Tacoma with 252K and still ticking.

Brian

I've used Great Valley before. They put the Eaton rear end in my Xterra. Similar in the sense that it's an 'exotic' Japanese drive train. They had no problem X-referencing bearings that Nissan only sells as a differential assembly.

https://greatvalleyautorepair.com/

They aren't cheap but I had a good experience and I've heard nothing but good things about their expertise in the past decade I've been living on this end of town.

Is finding a transfer case in a salvage yard an option? I'd imagine it would be about 2/3 the $500 that transmissions go for.
Neo: Why do my eyes hurt?
Morpheus: You've never used them before.