October 21, 2019, 04:03:01 pm

News:

Site settings updated:  Apologies for the inconvenience; but recent changes require all members to login again to improve site security.

yet another SP rules question.

Started by 1st v-dub, April 15, 2008, 01:37:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

1st v-dub

Short version:  is this legal for SP classes?  http://www.gmpperformance.com/index.cfm?PG=detail&PID=86077

Long version:

I desperately need more camber.  I plan on picking up some top mount plates this summer but in doing some research through the rule book I became stumped.

Here is one of the lines in the beginning of the Street Prepared chapter: cars listed as eligible in and prepared to the current nation ST class rules are permitted to compete in their respective SP classes, with the additional allowance that they may use any tire... (pg 83)

and in the Street Touring section we have this: ST: Camber kits may be installed.  These kits consist of either adjustable length arms or arm mounts that provide lateral adjustment to the effective length of a control arm. (14.8-I pg 76)

I-2: On arm and strut suspensions the lower arms may be modified/replaced OR other methods of camber adjustment as allowed by paragraphs 14.8B,C, or G may be used, but not both.

This makes it seem like the camber adjusting bracket would be legal but then:

SP 15.5C Any shock may be used... This does not allow unauthorized changes in suspension geometry or changes in attachment points (e.g., affecting the position of the lower ball joint or spindle) (15.5C pg 89)

and:  SP 15.8I On strut equipped cars the strut's lower integral mounting bracket, for attachment to the upright or spindle, is unrestricted provided it attaches to the stock location.

So I'm trying to figure out if I can just use the ball joint extender or if I'm looking at new LCA's.

Thanks for the help!  I get a little confused reading "lower integral mounting bracket, ball joint and spindle".
2002.5 VW GTI VR6
the new 55dsp?

crystalhelix

doesn't look legal for SP at all...
Just some guy who likes cars.

1st v-dub

thanks justin!  That's a bummer though as that is the cheap solution.

according to update / backdate, I could put R32 control arms in, which have a sliding ball joint by design and still be legal right?  I could also pillage the slightly larger brakes then.
2002.5 VW GTI VR6
the new 55dsp?

cjb11its

Quote from: 1st v-dub on April 15, 2008, 09:36:30 pm
according to update / backdate, I could put R32 control arms in, which have a sliding ball joint by design and still be legal right?  I could also pillage the slightly larger brakes then.

If you were going to go that route just buy the camber plates, it's probably cheaper than going the R32 swap and the larger brakes will not really make that big of a difference when you are only going 50 mph on average, in fact depending on the weight it might make you slower.
Chris
Ft. Mill, SC
'87 Mazda RX-7 SCCA ITS
'15 Ford F-150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
'15 Audi Q5